Tag Archives: knowledge base
October 18, 2010Posted by on
During an in place upgrade process, the entire SharePoint 2007 box is upgraded to SharePoint 2010. The up gradation process upgrades the entire SharePoint 2007 installation.
In Place upgrade for SharePoint standalone Installation
For upgrading a SharePoint standalone installation, the process is as follows:
- The installation of SharePoint 2010 is executed on the Standalone machine. This process kicks off the installation process in the in-place upgrade mode directly.
- Install the Language Packs that are used by the Site Collections.
- Once the installation process is complete, the “SharePoint Configuration Wizard” is run. This upgrades the server, central administration configuration database, services and Content Databases.
- Once the configuration wizard is executed, a timer service is created which upgrades all the site collection in the server.
Points to Consider
- Once the upgrade process starts, there is no rollback.
- The process takes the Web Server offline for the upgrade process and brings it online only when the process is complete.
October 17, 2010Posted by on
There are many types of migration opportunities available for migrating to Sharepoint 2010:
1. Migrate from Sharepoint 2003 to Sharepoint 2010
2. Migrate from Sharepoint 2007 to Sharepoint 2010
3. Migrate from other content management systems to Sharepoint 2010
There are many approaches of migrating from older version of sharepoint to sharepoint 2010.
1. In-Place Upgrade
2. Gradual Upgrade
3. Database migration (advanced)
4. Site and List Definition upgrade
However, till date there is no such pre defined approach for migrating to Sharepoint 2010. It mostly depends on the judgment of the administrator who is migrating the sharepoint site.
Feasibility verification for migrating to Sharepoint 2010
To understand the feasibility of migration, we can take the help of steam command. This command generates a HTML report for the same.
stsadm -o preupgradecheck
-[rulefiles <rule file>]
This command was first introduced with wss 3.0 sp2. This command is intended to run a set of rules that will assist the administrators to prepare the existing sharepoint 2007 installation to a future sharepoint 2010 version.
The parameter –rulefiles takes a valid rule file and is an optional parameter. It requires a quoted, delimited (comma or semicolon) list of rule file names. By default this command is run for all the available rule files. The rule files are available in the 12 hive\config\preupgradecheck folder.
The parameter –listrulefiles lists all rule files without executing the check routine. This is also an optional parameter.
The parameter –localonly is a required parameter and checks the local server with the rules marked as local only and evaluates them.
Temporary Database for Analysis
Once you run this command it creates a tmpdb_preupgradecheck_guid and stores all the analysis information over there before flushing out the information in the xml and html reports.
After the reports are generated and the command is completed, the databases are deleted by themselves.
Once the command is run, it generates an xml and html based report to guide you deeper in understanding the approaches for migration. It generates 3 files namely
- Preupgradecheck.xml files
What if any check fails
You can check the microsoft knowledgebase for corrective actions.